Friday, July 31, 2015

SIX years post microdiscectomy

Well, it's been 6.5 years since my surgery. I am updating this for those who are scouring the internet for information, any, about this surgery as I know I was doing 6.5 years ago. I hope this helps someone like me who was freaked out about having the surgery.

So, six plus years later, I'm doing great. Rarely have back problems. Don't even think about it! I have realized that I am a teeny bit weaker on my "bad" side where I had the limping pre-surgery. I think this slight weakness led to … a broken ankle! But it healed and it's actually OK too. The human body is such an amazing thing!

My most exciting news, and hopefully someone out there fretting about this will see this, is that … I had a baby! I was so worried about planning for pregnancy post-microscectomy that I probably put off having one a little longer than I had to. But guess what? It was fine! It was uneventful! I didn't have a single back pain while pregnant! I was so afraid of the back pain that everyone assured me that I'd have that I almost waited too long to try to have a baby … I'm 40 … but it was fine! It was great! I have the most adorable 6 month old in the world! I wish I hadn't been so scared about it. But isn't that how so many things in life go?

12 comments:

  1. Hi tiki. This is good news! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tiki. This is good news! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your blog - I just had a microdiscectomy on l4-l5 two weeks ago and all the scary failed surgery stories were bringing me down very fast. Congratulations on your baby! I would love to have another child, so its encouraging to hear it just might be possible :) Mind you, my 9mm herniation was probably mostly due to picking up my daughter for 4 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your recovery is swift. Expect setbacks, they happen. Then you move past them. It's just part of it I think. And realize it's gonna take a few years to get to the point where you forget that you have back issues (like me now). So don't be discouraged. It's just very slow and steady healing. You got this!

      Delete
  4. Hello!

    Quick question for you....can you wear heels?? If so, how soon after the surgery?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear heels. I began investing in really good stable shoes while recovering and never looked back. If it's a wedding or something I wear a small kitten heel. Now I'm so not used to them that I hate them and it probably has nothing to do with my back!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tiki
    Thanks so much for your blog. I had a microD 7 days ago. I'm much better than before the surgery but freak out at the slightest twinge! I've just read your entire blog and it's helped keeping me sane!!!
    Congratulations on your child. I hope you're having great pain free fun.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there my friend! Congrats on getting through your first week. It might be slower than you'd like in healing but you will heal. Try to block out the horror stories on the internet. You'll be fine. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this. I read it all the time as I recover and have ups and downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's helped you. It's just a long, slow process. But it does get better!

      Delete