Thursday, May 14, 2009

Progress Report: Week 18 & Milestones

Well, I just hit the four month mark. I've been back at work for about 2.5 months. I am doing pretty good. Really good when I realize it's only been four months! I still have flare-ups of back pain and sciatica, and have been having some lately, but they are no where near the intensity of the earlier ones. I am no longer obsessing over reherniating my back. I have also slipped back into some bad habits, like not doing my 1 mile walk after work and slouching at my desk at work and crossing my legs when I sit. I promise myself to work on that.

Went to the surgeon last week, for the first time since January. He had me bend over and do a few push tests and determined that I was just fine (or will be). He told me that if I ever have problems in the future, to give him a call. The end. No more appointments. Wow! It's that simple? I'm not complaining by any means, but it was just sorta surprising. But he's right, I am getting better. I am also wrapping up PT next week, been about 10 times. Love it and love my therapist! Such a difference from the old facility. I love going, and work has to let me go, so it's a nice break in the middle of the day. My therapist is very encouraging, and that goes a long way. I never thought about it before, but just hearing that I'm doing great from him really helps.

Also, my foot/baby toe numbness is slowly going away. It is almost not numb at times! It has been numb for about 9 months. The surgeon told me give it a full 12 months. When I do certain things, like sweep the kitchen or clean the cat's litterbox, my toe will suddenly go numb. The surgeon said it's likely scar tissue plus the nerve itself, since it's still not healed. (Nerves heal at a rate of fractions of an inch per month -- that's slow!) I wonder if that will always be like that. Time will tell.

I also reached a very important personal milestone (no, not my 36th birthday a few days ago!) -- I can sorta go up on my toes on my "bad" side. I can't hold my weight very long, but I actually can push up onto my toes on that side, albeit briefly. It really is a miracle! You don't realize how much that little reflex, whatever it is called, is involved in. You can't really run, or when I squat down to look at something, say on the bottom shelf at a store, I can't keep my balance (still can't). It's all very strange. But exciting to be seeing changes, finally!

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks a lot for this blog! I am facing the same thing and I'm really sick of reading the horror stories. I'm so glad your doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! There are SO many horror stories out there. I have had to just quit reading them. I think about it this way -- usually only those who didn't do well take the time to write about it. The ones doing well rode off into the sunset and never thought about it again! So there are more horror stories than happy ones on the Web. At least that is what I am telling myself!

    ReplyDelete