Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Things I Used to Try to Heal My Back

I tried many things to heal my back and avoid surgery. Many were helpful, but just couldn't heal a 15mm herniation. Some were helpful after surgery, too.
  • Turmeric. This stuff is in Indian food and is supposed to be good for inflammation. Continued this until a month or so after surgery. Verdict: Might Have Worked
  • Fish Oil. Also good for inflammation and safe. Cheaper ones taste a little fishy, so I got some "nice" ones from Whole Foods. Cost way too much. Verdict: Might Have Worked
  • Advil. My drug of choice to this day. Chose it due to the anti-inflammation properties. Verdict: Worked
  • Anti-Inflammatory Diet. Obviously I was hitting on a common theme here -- anti-inflammation. I did feel a little better when I ate this way. I have also read anecdotal accounts online that when certain people eat junk and fast food, it makes their pain worse. I think that is true with me, even now. Verdict: Might Have Worked
  • Prescription Pain Killers. In those worst days, they gave me what I think was vicodin and ibuprofen to keep me from pulling my hair out. I took it maybe two weeks, probably less. I just hated the pain killers. I felt like I was being poisoned. Plus there are an array of nasty side effects like extreme constipation that make it not alluring. What I was surprised to find out was that it just dulled the pain, never took it away. I never felt happy or high or anything either. So why did that guy at the keg parties in college insist that vicodin was a terrific high? I don't get it. Verdict: Didn't Work
  • Glucosamine. This is the stuff generally marketed to old people for knee pain, etc. It is supposed to help rebuild cartilage. I already had some so thought I'd try it. Verdict: Probably Didn't Work
  • Electrical Stimulation. Part of PT. They stuck electrodes all over me and hooked me up to this machine that sent little vibrations to the pads. Didn't seem to help pain. Verdict: Did Not Work
  • Ultrasound. Yes, I thought this was just for pregnant ladies too. Put a gooey cold gel on my back and then ran this lightly vibrating wand thing over it. Didn't seem to help pain. Verdict: Did Not Work
  • Traction. Eek. See previous post for details. Verdict: Did Not Work, Made Pain Worse
  • Massage. See last entry. Didn't seem to help pain. Verdict: Did Not Work
  • Steroid Epidurals. Had two. Ugh. Verdict: Did Not Work But Gave a Very Slight Reprieve in Pain
  • Various Stretching Exercises. From the incompetent PT lady. Would probably help in a different situation. Verdict: Did Not Work
  • Weight Machine. Also in PT. Not sure this was the best idea to do with a "massively" herniated disc. Verdict: Did Not Work
  • Elevating My Legs. To this day I still have not bought a wedge pillow. To this day I still want one. I will get one. In the meantime, I prop my legs up on two pillows. Not as good, but better than nothing, especially in those early days. Takes some of the pressure off of the base of my spine. Verdict: Worked
  • Wearing Better Shoes. Early on, I hoped that better shoes would help. I ditched my $10 Target flats with no cushioning and got some better shoes. This coulda helped had it not been herniated. I will continue to wear good shoes from now on, though. Verdict: Helped, But Couldn't Heal It
  • Cold Therapy/Ice Packs. My favorite thing to do to this day is to ice my back. Seems to be a lot of back-and-forth about heat vs. ice, but when you're going for anti-inflammation, ice wins. Verdict: Works Great
  • Heating Pads. Worked when I felt my upper back start to spasm. But overall not my go-to. Also, there is something about not following ice with heat (or vice versa). Stick with one and stay with it, at least for a day. Verdict: Can Help
  • Asking My Dreams For Help. That kooky doctor suggested I try this -- and I did! Sadly, my subconscious was out frolicing with Lorenzo Lamas (back in the Renegade era) and did not get back to me on this issue. Oddly enough, she was a size 6 in this vision as well. And she could fly. Verdict: Lorenzo Lamas looked better when he was younger
  • Swimming with Green Sea Turtles. During all of this mess, I had a nonrefundable ticket to Oahu. I went and limped the entire way. In the meantime, I saw no less than 4 sea turtles, and even came nose-to-nose with one while attempting to snorkel without bending. It was worth all the pain I was feeling! Seeing a sea turtle is supposed to be good luck, and represents healing. Or so the woman at the snorkel shop told me. Verdict: Total Success!
What I Did NOT Try
  • Chiropractor. OMG. I can not tell you how many times people told me to "just go to a chiropractor." I am sure they help some people. But I just knew that any manipulation of my already blown-out L5-S1 disc would be catastrophic. It just was not for me. It bothered me that so many people kept telling me to just go to one, as if I was being foolish for not believing that one could heal me. I was even told that a person's chiropractor had cured her toothache by adjusting her back, so surely he could fix this "back pain" problem. (Not to mention my main problems were leg and reflex issues, not just "back pain"!) I am glad I didn't go. Perhaps for smaller herniations, this would work. But not for mine.
  • Yoga. Dude. No. I did appreciate all the advice, but this sounded like the second worst possible thing that I could do (after the chiropractor). Again, like the chiropractor, I'm sure it could help some with disc bulges or something less serious. It'd probably be good for me post-surgery. But not good at my most hurt.
  • Witch Doctor/Voo Doo/Hoo Doo. Only on my "not tried" list because New Orleans is so far away.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the list of things you have tried and how they turned out for you, I find that really helpful and would like to try one or two of them myself.

    I am a 7-week post-up midroD patient. I first herniated an L5-S2 disc my back 9 years prior to the surgery, and each time chiropractors were able to help me with my sciatic symptoms (at worse I wasn't able to walk either). Depending on the patient's pain, their movements can be really gentle, and I found the younger chiropractors that's gone through more modern training have specialized knowledge and technique to deal with herniated discs and patients in associated (excruciating) pain. That said, I do have to warn readers that the very first chiropractor that I've had did nothing to the herniated disc but to incur more pain.

    I've gotten the yoga advice too, and almost any yoga move I tried immediately send a pain down my leg like nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still would like to do yoga and pilates. I think they will help the back situation, but not once it's already really hurt. But to strengthen and keep it healthy I think it could help. I don't plan on trying that until a year after my surgery, though (winter), on the advice of my physical therapist.

    ReplyDelete