Friday, March 13, 2009

My Herniated Disc Experience

I had been having lower back pain for a while, on and off for about 3 years, ever since I hurt it while moving a heavy table at my job. You know, moving heavy furniture, what every communications employee is required to do, right? But that is another story. Back to my back.

The year 2008 was going to be IT -- the year I finally got into shape. I joined a gym, was going to a personal trainer, was working out with weights and going to aerobics several times a week. I started having a weird sensation occasionally along the back of my left hamstring -- the time I really remember noticing it the most was while reaching up to turn on a light in my boyfriend's apartment in April. It was this weird sensation, like a painful jolt running down the back of my leg. But it went away and I forgot about it. I'd sometimes feel it in aerobics class but after warming up it seemed to go away, so I figured it was a pulled hamstring or something. Come early June, I started having lower back pain, which luckily coincided with a vacation week home to visit family. I was in bed on a heating pad or ice most of that week and my back got somewhat better.

I went to my primary care doctor when I returned and told her about the back and the hamstring thing. She prescribed me vicodin and referred me to a physical therapy group. It was probably just a pulled muscle or something similar in my back.

Today I know that I should have pressed for x-rays, but I didn't know that then. But come on -- how is a physical therapist supposed to treat me for an undiagnosed ailment? Impossible, right?

Yes. Very much so. I continued with physical therapy for three months. The therapist was unconcerned about this jolt down the back of my thigh -- pulled hamstring, she said. And the back pain? Just a pulled back. They'd use ultrasound, electrostimulation and weight machines, but to no avail. My favorite technique was when she would put her elbow right over the L5-S1 and press in with her entire body's weight -- you know to "massage" that pulled muscle.

My left foot started going numb. My baby toe was staying numb 24/7. Oh that's OK, she said, it is just the pulled hamstring. Must be a nerve in there somewhere.

There was a nerve in there alright. My sciatic nerve, which was obviously irritated and should have at least prompted a "call your doctor" from her rather than another elbow massage. Idiot me went with it -- little did I realize that these were the hallmarks of a classic case of herniated disc.

Come September, I started having problems at work and during the day with my back. When I'd stand up after being seated, or get out of my car, it was as if I had to wait for a minute before I could straighten up. My foot was numb constantly by now. I started having this weird pain in and below my butt on the left side. Hamstring, right?

I went back to my primary care. Things aren't right here, I told her. She sent me for an x-ray and a referral to an orthopaedic. Of course they couldn't work me in for an appointment for several weeks.

My disc decided it didn't want to wait that long. One day I got ready for work and began the drive in. I got about a mile down the road before the pain from sitting was excruciating. It seemed to come out of nowhere, but of course now as I look back I can see how it had been steadily progressing.

The new doctor did the straight leg and push off test. I hadn't realized that I could no longer go up on my toes on my left side. Probably a bulging disc, she said, and put in for an MRI referral, which would take a full week thanks to my HMO Plan From Hell.

My pain got worse and worse. I could only stay in bed. I was off work for a week. Months earlier, I had caught two guys breaking into my car in the middle of the night, parked on the street in front of my apartment. One night while waiting for my MRI, I thought I heard people breaking into my car again. I was still asleep and not remembering that I was hurt, and I jumped up and ran to the window. Luckily, no one was breaking into my car. Unluckily, the jolt to my back was the final nail in my herniated disc's little herniated coffin.

When I woke up I couldn't walk. I could barely stand. I'd pull myself up by holding on to the dresser next to my bed, and would claw my way to the bathroom holding on to the wall. It was horrible, and very scary. When I'd stand up, it was the strangest feeling, hard to explain -- it was like I could not move my leg, but I'd tell my leg, "MOVE!" and then after a delay it'd move. It was the strangest thing I'd ever experienced.

All I knew was, this was bad. Very bad.

By this point I was ready to go to the hospital. At least three times over the long week I had to wait before I could get an MRI, I had put my shoes on and gotten my purse and was about to get my boyfriend to take me to the ER. What kept me from going was the fact that I couldn't sit to sit in the waiting room for 12 hours, but also the fact that I knew there was nothing they could do. They'd prescribe me painkillers (a future topic: the sheer volume of painkillers they give you) and send me home to wait there for a week. Personally I think it's disgraceful that I had to wait weeks at a time to get to the doctors, x-rays, MRIs -- but that is another story alltogether about the evilness of HMOs.

Finally I got my MRI. Turns out my L5-S1 disc had a "massive" herniation ("pulled back" or "disc bulge" my ass!) They told me that a large herniation was one that was 9 to 10 mm. Mine was 15 mm.

So now what? I didn't need surgery. Only whiny wimps do that. I was going to heal my back myself. Through nutrition and alternative therapies. Hell, throw a couple of steroid epidurals in there too while you're at it. I guess you know how that went by the title of this blog.

9 comments:

  1. Please keep writing! I am 5 weeks post op - and I am losing hope!!! You are giving me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, I am so glad! I will update for you and me then. :)

    Don't give up hope, I felt the same way at that point. It just takes a while to heal. A long while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW. I have the same issue. A 15mm herniated disc in the same region. I remember crying one night it hurt so bad, from my buttocks all the way down to my ankle. The worst pain was behind my knee. . My doctor says surgery but im very skeptical on the outcome. Ive been doing P.T and it has helped a lot. The pain is 90% gone with a little ache here and there. How do you feel after surgery? Are you working again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel great after surgery, it's almost been a year. It took several months to heal, nothing was instant. I am glad I had surgery although it was a very wrenching decision. I know it is not for everyone. But I feel it was the right thing for me to do.

    Before surgery my pain had subsided substantially, but I had a persistent limp when I walked. That was the main deciding factor, not the pain. The doctors told me that I would likely not get any better than I was, and the limp would likely not go away. It is now 100% gone.

    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Do your research and decide what is best for you. Good luck and hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you havent been blogging for a while, but I'm 10 weeks post-op for an L5-S1. Went for my first "run" a couple days ago and jogged slowly for almost a mile, feeling pretty good. For TWO DAYS now it's felt tight and inflamed....I have a hard time standing up straight after being seated. Is that normal?? I feel assured after reading your posts...slow and steady! :)

      Delete
  5. Went back to work about 7 weeks after surgery, btw. All is well but it wasn't easy at first. Luckily I'm just at a desk job in a cube farm, so nothing too strenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am now 12 weeks post op....was great for 9 weeks then had a return of leg , butt pain and burning. Attend physio and he thinks its nerve inflammation or maybe another bulge. Don't take anything for it as physio wants me to be off all meds. I have another MRI is 3 weeks (after being signed off!!).
    I am so concerned that I have another back issue, or that this pain is permanent. I have good and bad days, flexibility is an issue, can't touch my toes. At week 9 I had no pain and no issues....
    Back at work and currently back is on fire, but as peiple keep telling me I am better than pre op as there were days I couldn't get down to the kitchen.

    I just want to feel like I did week 6-9...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I can tell you from first-hand experience that there will be ups and downs. Try to not get discouraged. They lead you to believe that this operation is going to be an instant fix, but in fact it takes at LEAST a year. I am still healing and it's been 1.5. My advice is to keep active, as contrary as that may sound. I have noticed that the most pain I have is when I'm not walking, gently stretching, etc. Perhaps you can go to physical therapy? Even if you've been before, it will still help you.

    Try to not get discouraged. It's going to be a long road. But you will get better. Do everything you can to help it along -- gentle stretching, daily walks, eating right and keeping your weight down. Good luck and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thx for your blog. My story exact same as of right now but no pain.Started with sharp coccyx bone area pain. Went in 2 weeks and straight to left leg. Had numb thigh and foot. Sciatic nerve pain off and on. Throbbing and Sharp! Very sore and tight calf. Numbness gone. Got a Foot drop. Can not walk without limping or tip toe. 13mm herniation. No idea how. Next stop neuro surgeon who discectomy L4 L5 9years ago successfully!

    ReplyDelete