Sunday, July 5, 2009

Progress Report: Week 24

Last week I went to a grocery store where they crammed everything into one large paper bag. I didn't think about how heavy it might be when I lifted it and strained my back. Nothing too bad or too major, but I felt it for several days, and knew I messed up the moment I did it. I was so mad at myself! Did a lot of icing and started taking some advil again to help with the swelling. It got better.

Then, this weekend, I flew across the country, a connecting flight so basically two flights in one day, about 6 or so hours in the air. My past airline trips over the past 12 months were NOT easy. At all. So I was apprehensive. But it wasn't so bad this time. Booking it across the airport, trying to make it to my connecting flight after a late arrival -- last time, pre-surgery, was bad. Real bad. You try limping while holding a purse and carry-on bag! This time, that part was a breeze. (I also packed incredibly light. Maybe too light!) The sitting in the plane seats was still not comfortable, still. Yet I wasn't about to cry this time, and I wasn't taking muscle relaxers (I might should have though!).

The second flight was the worst. It was on a little expressjet. I am tall, and can barely stand up in those planes there are so small. My seat was on the right side, where there is just a row of single seats. Awesome, right? Well, no. The walls beside those seats curve on the bottom (and top), so you can't sit with your legs right in front of you. It is like sititng beside a wheel well or something, you have to twist slightly (does any of this make sense?) To make a long story short, it wasn't so comfortable and I woke up hurting. I've used a ton of ice. This morning I woke up very stiff and in some pain so I walked about 1.5 miles briskly, and not only did it get my heart rate up, but I swear it made my pain subside considerably. In comparison: I took 6 advil over the course of yesterday. I have taken none today. So whatever walking is doing (getting the blood to flow to the lower back?) is helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment