Thursday, July 23, 2009

Progress Report: Week 26

Doing pretty good. My foot and toe are still numb, though not that "dead numb" -- just sorta numb. Hope this isn't nerve damage, but the surgeon said it could take a year to clear up. Halfway there.

Still amazed by how much walking will help when I am feeling sorta sore and achy. Last night I went swimming at the gym for the first time since I was a child. It was great! At first I felt the tiniest pain in my lower back, but I think it was just getting stretched out because after just a few minutes I felt no back pain. Swam for a good 45-50 minutes (the longevity was helped along by the fact that SoCal is having a heatwave) and iced it when I came home, just in case. So far I feel fine. I usually don't get sore til 24+ hours after exercise though, so we'll see. Still I am very hopeful and couldn't believe how great swimming was. I got my heart pumping and there was none of that pressure/pain I get in my knees, shins, lower back, etc. when doing aerobics or elliptical (which I haven't done since last Sept. due to the back.) Of course I have always heard and read about the wonders of swimming but it was something else to experience it first-hand. It really was a great experience. I can't wait to do it again.

Only pain issues I'm really having right now are when I wake up. That might very well be the bed/mattress. I still have to sleep on my back with a pillow under my legs (but I get to use my new wedge pillow!) and it hurts my back to lay on either side for now. Not sure why that is.

Also eating healthy and losing weight (joined WW) and really serious about making some life changes so that when I am healed, I stay that way and don't end up reinjured down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment